Many of us make major health decisions to use the paleo diet for weight loss, but new research shows small steps to lose weight may actually be more beneficial for your health and increase the chance for success! Throughout the year, we all make changes in our life, whether big or small. The biggest changes we want to make are usually the ones that are the most difficult for us to achieve. This can be quitting smoking, losing weight, or getting in a better paying job.
While it is natural to set high goals, and we do want to achieve them, experts say this may not be the best way to go about it. Smaller goals are easier to obtain, why? Because it is easy to fit these into your daily routine. Let’s take smoking for example. If you smoke a pack a day (that’s 20 cigarettes), and try to quit smoking cold turkey, you are immediately trying to cut out a major part of each day out of your life. However, if you go from 20 cigarettes a day, down to 19 a day, this is much easier to accomplish, simply because it is such a small change you will barely even notice it.
The reason small changes are so great is because you barely even notice it. By going through small changes, you are able to easily reach each goal; and as you obtain it, you get a renewed sense of accomplishment and drive, and this makes it easier for you to raise the bar one more time. You can then continually do this over an extended period of time until the bad habit is kicked, or the good habit is formed. Here are 10 small steps to use the paleo diet for weight loss.
- Keep track of what you’re eating- This will allow you to take a look at what you consume each day, and will make it easier to cut out or add in small changes into your diet.
- Exercise more than twice a week- Exercise is important, we all know this. Studies have shown it is best to exercise at least three times a week to move yourself towards losing extra fat.
- Eat breakfast- This is a no brainer, but many people skip out on breakfast every day! Breakfast is a major part of our diet and our body’s ability to lose weight. If you don’t have fuel early in the day, it will be difficult for your body to work to lose the pounds!
- Eat an apple at least once a day- An apple a day keeps the doctor away, we’ve all heard this, because it works! Apples have many nutrients in them that our bodies need in order to function properly, just read my article Healthy Apple Paleo Diet Food.
- Take more small steps- Believe it or not, even small walks can help you lose weight. It’s still staying active. Keep a pedometer to count your steps and increase it each day by just 20 steps until you feel the burn from walking.
- Downsize- The smaller the portion, the smaller you eat. This doesn’t need to be anything major, just barely noticeable.
- Drink more water- Most of us don’t consume enough water. If your body isn’t hydrated, you can’t expect it to help you be healthy!
- Eat healthy fats in the morning- Eating healthy fat in the morning will help your body lose bad fat. Try half an avocado with breakfast!
- Sleep more- Yes, sleep more! Most of us don’t get a full 8 hours of sleep each night. It is imperative to our health and recovery that we get a good nights rest, make sure this happens.
- Lose weight- I know, pretty self explanatory. But track it. If you aren’t monitoring your weight loss and insuring it happens and is consistent, how do you expect it to happen?
If any of you have successfully used the paleo diet for weight loss, don’t be shy, let us know below and share your secrets!